Connection to SQL Server instance

no issues, as mentioned in previous section , if I put host\instance and keep port empty, its working

Can the mssql driver work with Active directory authentication inside dremio?

I’m still having issues around this: Build 13.1.0-202102110202430875-3e6f3e7c
Has this ever been addressed?

@hmarchman-jones Are you connecting using SQL server database username/password as Windows Auth is currently not supported

I am trying to connect MSSQL data source instance by giving host : hostserver\instancename and port is default 1433(as port is mandatory) with username and password. But I found message as “Failure creating/updating source” . When I look in the logs, I see connection not valid error message and login failed for user
I am able to connect SQL server from DBeaver with host: hostServer\instanceName and Port: 1433.

Am I doing something wrong while connecting MSSQL server with Dremio?..

@Akshaya Are you able to do the below?

From the Dremio coordinator
ping
telnet 1433

Can you also please send us the server.log when the error happens

@balaji.ramaswamy , I got invalid argument message when I ping telnet 1433.
When I ping “telnet [Host_Server_Name] 1433” and server got connected.
Also when I ping telnet [Host_Server_Name\InstanceName] 1433, I got error message as “name or service not known”.

Some of the MSSQL databases are configured as instance which I am trying to connect from Dremio.

Following are the server log details,

2023-06-28 07:14:33,716 [start-[MSSQLDB]] ERROR c.d.e.store.jdbc.JdbcStoragePlugin - Connection is not valid.
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user ‘ABC’. ClientConnectionId:9499f0be-a440-4f12-a833-8bab72b18f0a
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:254) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSTokenHandler.onEOF(tdsparser.java:258) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSParser.parse(tdsparser.java:104) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.sendLogon(SQLServerConnection.java:4772) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.logon(SQLServerConnection.java:3581) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.access$000(SQLServerConnection.java:81) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection$LogonCommand.doExecute(SQLServerConnection.java:3541) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:7240) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:2869) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:2395) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:2042) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectInternal(SQLServerConnection.java:1889) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:1120) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDataSource.getConnectionInternal(SQLServerDataSource.java:1056) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPooledConnection.createNewConnection(SQLServerPooledConnection.java:70) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPooledConnection.(SQLServerPooledConnection.java:50) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.jar:na]
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnectionPoolDataSource.getPooledConnection(SQLServerConnectionPoolDataSource.java:39) ~[mssql-jdbc-7.0.0.jre8.ja

I’m not using windows auth. This is still not working as of version 24.

@Akshaya For some reason we are getting “Login failed for user ABC”, can we take a look at the SQL server Database log to see if there is a reason? It is trying to start the plugin and failing with “Connection is not valid”