Distributed storage

Hi,
We have deployed an on-premises dremio installation running on kubernetes. According to earlier documentation and values.yaml file, the distributed storage for version >21 does not support local:
distStorage:

The supported distributed storage types are: local (<21.0.0 only), aws, azure, gcp, or azureStorage.

local: (<21.0.0 only) Not recommended for production use. When using local, dist-caching is disabled.

aws: AWS S3, additional parameters required, see “aws” section.

azure: ADLS Gen 1, additional parameters required, see “azure” section.

azureStorage: Azure Storage Gen2, additional paramters required, see “azureStorage” section.

gcp: Google Cloud Storage, additional parameters required, see “gcp” section.

type: “azureStorage”

We have just found out that using azureStorage implies some costs, so we are trying to find a solution or setting that does not require cloud storage as distStorage.

I then see in the documentation for the latest version 24.2, that Netapp NAS is supported as distributed storage. So I’m a bit confused about the contradicting statements about distributed storage.

Can you help to clarify which is true? Does Dremio v24.2 support ‘local’ as distributed storage?

… maybe ‘Local’ is not the same as ‘NAS’?
I cannot find any documentation on this.

@humanSupafly Local for distributed storage is no longer supported

@balaji.ramaswamy
But local NAS is supported according to the documentation.
Can you give an example on how to configure this in a config.yaml file, given a (netapp) nfs share?

@humanSupafly

You mean here? https://github.com/dremio/dremio-cloud-tools/blob/master/charts/dremio_v2/values.yaml

Basically syntax is below

Will check internally on values.yaml and get back to you

@balaji.ramaswamy

thanks for looking into it.

yes, that’s the yaml file i’m trying to figure out how to configure.

As I understand, the documentation, refers to changes in the dremio.config file https://github.com/dremio/dremio-cloud-tools/blob/master/charts/dremio_v2/config/dremio.conf

@humanSupafly

Upon checking internally, currently the helm charts do not have it. When the K8’s charts were created, NFS/NAS was not considered as we have seen performance issue when it is not a performant one. The charts were intended for cloud deployments and hence only cloud storage dist options where considered

@balaji.ramaswamy
Oke, many thanks for checking it with your dev team.
I have configured it to use local S3 as distributed storage. Hope that is supported (and stabile).