Elasticsearch - Failed to parse date time value

Hi, I am evaluating dremio as a way to connect between our analytics ES servers and Tableau.

I getting this “Failed to parse date time value 20180409T091813.555Z in field doc.updated_on.” as soon as I click on any of my tables with data (seems it’s failing to extract the fields). I also get this error if I try and make a query that doesn’t include any of the offending fields (date fields).

My mapping for these fields looks like this:

“format”: “basic_date_time||epoch_millis”,
“type”: “date”

I’ve found other references to this problem on the dremio forums, but no solutions, all the threads just seem to die down.

Cheers

1 Like

I also have this problem with elasticsearch.

Failed to parse date time value 2018-02-28 19:12:37 in field XXXX.d23b8488-70b9-4a3b-bc03-2cb36a28fa29.zip (3.1 KB)

Can you share a query profile of the failed job please?

Hi, yes, here’s one.

82f442c0-8144-4f98-a13a-438e5a31d325.zip (2.96 KB)

@JacobHZ @led42 Thanks for sharing. This is currently a known issue that we are tracking to work with different date formats as that specified in the mapping.

@JacobHZ @led42 What versions of ES are you using?

Prior to ES 5.6, you could update/change the format string for a date field of a mapping even when existing documents in the index have another format. But this behavior was changed:

One workaround is to add a format string for every case the error is complaining about: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/date.html#multiple-date-formats
In @led42 case, it appears that you already have the string for this, but you could try adding the explicit format, like:
“format”: “basic_date_time||epoch_millis||yyyyMMdd’T’HHmmss.SSSZ”,
“type”: “date”
or you could try omitting the format field altogether (I’ve seen success with this, but it may have side-effects).

We can’t omit the format in our case, we needed to keep the couchbase plugin we use honest, we’ve had trouble in the past with dates in unsupported formats being used by the plugin.

I’ll make a small test with the explicit format you suggested.

I was trying it out for our use case and this is the first issue I encountered. @anthony is there any timeline associated with it?

@Kanishka_Khaitan did you try adding a format string for the case where you see the error? What version of Elastic are you working with?

@ben the format string is being provided, yet the error shows up. I’m using ES 5.5 with date format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

Example:
“X”:{
“type”:“nested”,
“properties”:{
“date”:{
“type”:“date”,
“format”:“yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss”
}, …
Leads to the issue:
“Failed to parse date time value 2018-07-25 09:15:51 in field X.date.”