Dremio as datasource of Grafana

Grafana as a popular data visualisation system, open source, is right now able to connect to quiet few databases. Dremio has the abilities to connect to more, and the point is Dremio can do some database-cross queries as a single SQL. I’m thinking about if Dremio can set itself as a datasource of Grafana, means a Grafana datasource plugin, to make them join together, connect to more types of databases and execute database-cross queires and at last show data.

Hi Even - did you ever get Grafana --> Dremio working / give it a try? Was going to give it a go and saw your post.

Unfortunately I have not seen any datasource plugin added @ Grafana plugin site. It’s Dremio maybe supposed to do this. Without this I have no idea how to add a customized database driver or something into Grafana to make Dremio available.

@evandeng - I’ll let you know when I get to this as an issue. Might see how hard it is to just write the plugin. I’m doing a comparison of three DB’s behind Dremio so I don’t have to rewrite the Grafana integration 3x.

Updates for whose who cares about this topic.

I found an Apache incubated proj Superset supports Dremio as a datasource. Superset supports more databases than Grafana. I’d go and do some tests.

This is a highly interesting topic, for me at least. I’ve run some tests with Superset and Dremio and it looks quite promising, imo. However, I don’t yet see the level of stability in Superset that Grafana currently provides. I wouldn’t dare to put Superset into a production environment yet.

From what I understand Grafana is mainly used to visualise streaming data from processes and logs. And most if not all charts require a timeseries column. Still, it would be great to see Grafana dashboards powered by Dremio.

I agree, I’d be very happy to see Dremio as a Grafana datasource…

Hello All,
Since I was digging into the exact same topic, I came across this 3 year old post. Does anybody know if there is any progress made or any ongoing development as still a Dremio datasource search in Grafana does not give any result and there is not much in the internet except connecting via Prometheus using the exporter ?

Thanks in advance

Long time no use Dremio and get the following up after 3 years is a pretty surprise. @jeeshandas , dremio-prometheus-experter is supposed to be a monitor agent for Dremio in Prometheus ecology , rather than a data source driver.

Grafana is a well-known kind of BI, focus on observability area which means monitoring real-time data, while Dremio is a middware of data for cross-database computing, as a datalake. Right now I have no expectation of driver developing from Dremio.

1 Like

I am new to Grafana and landed upon this use case of Dremio → Grafana ( and others, eg Apache Hive → Grafana ) as part of my work.
The 1st result that came up when I searched was this one and I was glad that this was already asked, thanks to you!
I put the same question through to Grafana Labs community as well and they suggested using either the Dremio REST API ( via a JSON datasource ) or a SQL datasource to access Dremio data -

Thanks

You can use the Sqlyze datasource with the Dremio ODBC Driver.

There are also ODBC drivers for Apache Hive that you can use with the Sqlyze datasource.