Dremio Backup Help

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to follow the instructions to backup my Dremio data before upgrading to the latest version.

However, I’m getting errors when running the first step once I navigate to the Dremio directory in cmd.

I try the command: dremio-admin backup

But I get this: "‘dremio-admin’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Am I not suppose to run this command in cmd?

Thanks!

Hi @Jackson

It looks like your dremio-admin command is not in PATH. Can you please do the below ?

If Windows: Go to cmd prompt and then cd C:\Program Files\Dremio\bin\ and then run dremio-admin
If Linux, cd $DREMIO_HOME/bin and then ./dremio-admin

Thanks,
@balaji.ramaswamy

Hi @balaji.ramaswamy, I am running the ‘dremio-admin backup’ command within the C:\Program Files\Dremio\bin\ path with error.

Edit: Adding snapshot
dremio snapshot

@jackson this is currently not supported on Windows.

As a workaround, you can copy/backup all folders located under C:\Users<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Dremio. On Windows, Dremio is configured to look for this path for metadata by default.

1 Like

Thanks @can. Can you also suggest the best way to upgrade Dremio for Windows?

I would like to upgrade to latest version and try out the REST API features.

@jackson After making a copy of the above directory, install the latest version of Dremio. Dremio will automatically upgrade your metadata to the latest version on first startup, which may take a few minutes.

1 Like