How connect from Dremio to Hive Hadoop (without Ranger)

How can I connect from Dremio to Hive Hadoop (without Ranger)?

Hi @oleksandr

To connect hive,
you can select Storage Based with User Impersonation in the Authorization And provide the Hive Metastore Host hostname.

In the advanced options set this property

name: hive.server2.enable.doAs
value: false

Hi Venugopal,
Thanks for your reply.
I’m looking for possibility to login using hive username and password. Is there any way to connect?

Hi @oleksandr

Dremio does not connect to hiveserver2 , we connect to metastore just to get the schema information and directly access the file on HDFS.

Hi Venugopal,

If I’m connecting

I can see tables but once I’m accessing data I’m getting the error:

Failure while retrieving dataset [Hive_test.acquire_v.ad_user_roles].

Please advise.

Thanks,

Oleksandr

Hi @oleksandr

Can you check at the Profile for the ERROR details, if not please check at the server.log when the query runs.

What is the file name I should look inside?

@oleksandr It is Server.log.

You can check the error stack in the job profile as well under “error” field

@venu

I have found the following:

2019-05-08 14:57:27,698 [metadata-refresh-Hive] WARN c.dremio.exec.store.hive.HiveClient - Failure to run Hive command. Will retry once.

org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.MetaException: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=username, access=EXECUTE, inode="/apps/hive/warehouse/mdss_datamart_work.db/awb_mdr_metrics_z2":hdpmdss:hdpmdss:drwxr-x—

what is the interesting that it’s not the table I’m accessing

@oleksandr

@oleksandr

can you attach the server.log and profile,will check and let you know.

There was no job executed

(Attachment server.log is missing)

Resent

server.zip (194 KB)

Can you tell me the table you are tryng to access.

from the log i can see access denied for the user “altohnat”. I believe the user is notpart of the group “hdpmass”.

2019-05-08 17:03:36,985 [metadata-refresh-Hive] INFO c.dremio.exec.store.hive.HiveClient - Failure while trying to read table pre_otp_load_z2_all_file from db mdss_datamart_load
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.MetaException: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=altohnat, access=EXECUTE, inode="/data/mdss/datamart/load/
otp/z2/preload_all_file":hdpmdss:hdpmdss:drwx------
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:353)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkTraverse(FSPermissionChecker.java:292)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:238)

I am able to repro a similar issue by altering the file permissions under the warehouse directory.

{code}
(org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException) Permission denied: user=dremio, access=READ, inode="/apps/hive/warehouse/voter_text/voterhive.tsv":hive:hadoop:-rwx------
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:353)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:252)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:190)
{code}

Permissions on the HDFS:

[hive@venumaprclinet dvenu]$ hadoop fs -ls /apps/hive/warehouse/voter_text/voterhive.tsv
-rwx------ 3 hive hadoop 14621 2019-05-02 07:15 /apps/hive/warehouse/voter_text/voterhive.tsv

Can you try by changing the permissions on the HDFS or add the user to the group and try.

Thanks
@Venugopal_Menda

Table I’m accessing:

I will revert to you as soon as I have changed permissions for my user…. It takes time.

Thanks a lot