New install getting error failed to initialize usergroup service

I am getting an error when trying to start dremio. It’s a brand new install on RHEL 8. I downloaded and installed via rpm and configure the conf and env file according the the documention for standalone cluster. However when I start the services I am getting a Dremio is exiting. Failure while starting services. The caused by is Failed to initialize usergroup service. I looked at the other logs and can’t find any more information. I thought it may have been a permissions issues, so I even tried to start it under root but ended up getting the same error. Any guidance on what the issue could be is appreciated.

@kapadiup Is the Authorization local or external like LDAP?

Any chance you can provide with server.log when issue happened. Since this was 9 days back, the server.log should be available under the /log/archive folder with the date as part of the file name. server.out should be under the log folder just one file as the entries keep appending to it

I can copy the snippet where the error is occurring. I wouldn’t be able to copy the log file itself. It is a brand new install running local auth. The only thing can had is RHEL is running with fips mode enabled. I know for other applications, like solr, I had to provide additional parameters to get the service working in a fips enabled os.

] WARN com.dremio.telemetry.api.Telemetry - Failure reading telemetry configuration. Leaving telemetry as is.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: resource dremio-telemetry.yaml not found.
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:220)
at com.google.common.io.Resources.getResource(Resources.java:198)
at com.dremio.telemetry.api.Telemetry$1.get(Telemetry.java:104)
at com.dremio.telemetry.api.Telemetry$1.get(Telemetry.java:86)
at com.dremio.telemetry.api.config.AutoRefreshConfigurator.refreshOnce(AutoRefreshConfigurator.java:74)
at com.dremio.telemetry.api.config.AutoRefreshConfigurator.(AutoRefreshConfigurator.java:54)
at com.dremio.telemetry.api.config.AutoRefreshConfigurator.(AutoRefreshConfigurator.java:44)
at com.dremio.telemetry.api.Telemetry.startTelemetry(Telemetry.java:121)
at com.dremio.exec.server.BootStrapContext.(BootStrapContext.java:62)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemonModule.bootstrap(DACDaemonModule.java:325)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemon.(DACDaemon.java:185)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemon.newDremioDaemon(DACDaemon.java:313)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemon.newDremioDaemon(DACDaemon.java:321)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DremioDaemon.main(DremioDaemon.java:103)
2024-03-05 18:36:39,654 [main] ERROR ROOT - Dremio is exiting. Failure while starting services.
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: null
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemonModule.setupUserService(DACDaemonModule.java:1525)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemonModule.build(DACDaemonModule.java:652)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemon.(DACDaemon.java:186)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemon.newDremioDaemon(DACDaemon.java:313)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DACDaemon.newDremioDaemon(DACDaemon.java:321)
at com.dremio.dac.daemon.DremioDaemon.main(DremioDaemon.java:103)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize usergroup service
at com.dremio.service.users.UserServiceUtils.buildSecretKey(UserServiceUtils.java:37)
at com.dremio.service.users.SimpleUserService.(SimpleUserService.java:88)
… 6 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1 SecretKeyFactory not available
at java.base/javax.crypto.SecretKeyFactory.(SecretKeyFactory.java:122)
at java.base/javax.crypto.SecretKeyFactory.getInstance(SecretKeyFactory.java:168)
at com.dremio.service.users.UserServiceUtils.buildSecretKey(UserServiceUtils.java:35)
… 7 common frames omitted

Thanks @kapadiup let me check this error and get back to you

@kapadiup What version of JDk are you using, can you send me value of JAVA_HOME?

See this bug https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7022467