Prometheus exporter: struggle to compile

Hello,

I’m trying to compile the Prometheus exporter (GitHub - dremio-hub/dremio-prometheus-exporter)

I get the following error:

[WARNING] The POM for com.dremio.tools:errorprone-dremio:jar:24.0.0-202302100528110223-3a169b7c is missing, no dependency information available
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time:  2.220 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2023-03-15T21:42:57Z
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.10.1:compile (default-compile) on project dremio-telemetry-prometheus: Execution default-compile of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.10.1:compile failed: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.10.1 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Failure to find com.dremio.tools:errorprone-dremio:jar:24.0.0-202302100528110223-3a169b7c in https://maven.dremio.com/free/ was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of dremio-free has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginResolutionException

I think I’m failing to update the pom.xml correctly (I have 0 experience in Java)
what version should I put ? and where ?

Is there another Prometheus exporter ?

Thank you

@jjournet Sorry for the delay, any chance you tried to run it again with the -e switch?

[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.

@jjournet

We dont need to do this any more. We automatically expose prometheus metrics via http endpoint.

Can you please try and let us know

Thanks
Bali

I’ve also been trying to build this plugin as I was not aware that Dremio now exposed the metrics natively. Can you share the scrape endpoint? Also, is there any updated documentation that explains how to configure the build-in metrics?

@rs_trey

Would the below 2 help?

Whoa, thank you! The “Monitoring System Telemetry” page I kept reading still referenced the third-party exporter. I modified my StatefulSets and ConfigMap and can now see the metrics. Now to update my copy of the helm chart (since PRs aren’t accepted). Thanks again!

Thanks for the update @rs_trey Glad you are unblocked

I am trying to make prometheus work in my single node dremio. I added services.web-admin.port: 32020 line to dremio.conf file and the run upgrade helm chart.
But I get
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 172.28.1.6 port 32020 after 0 ms: Connection refused Error

rs_trey says he modified ConfigMap and StatefulSets but I am not sure what I need to change.
Besides, in dremio logs I can see
2023-11-21 08:24:54,598 [config-refresh1] WARN com.dremio.telemetry.api.Telemetry - Failure reading telemetry configuration. Leaving telemetry as is.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: resource dremio-telemetry.yaml not found.

•    at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:220)*

Error and also:
2023-11-21 08:25:04,110 [main] INFO c.dremio.dac.server.LivenessService - Started liveness service on port 32020
2023-11-21 08:25:04,130 [main] INFO c.d.s.j.s.LocalJobTelemetryServer - LocalJobTelemetryServer is up

Does this mean metrics is working but the port is not accessible? In that case, how can I expose port 32020 to be accessible from grafana?

Thanks

@txalaparta Does telnet 172.28.1.6 32020 work?

It doesn´t not. But neither does 172.28.1.6:30010 for example and it works.
The error is:
telnet: could not resolve 172.28.1.6:32020/telnet: Name or service not known

Another thing I can see is that telemetry.yml never gets copied to /opt/dremio/conf folder. I even created a docker image to copy it with no success.

@txalaparta I have asked someone who have worked on monitoring tools to help out, stay tuned, ping, in case you do not hear back in a few days

Unable to upload a Doc here for monitoring on k8s. Please let me know your email so that i can forward to you.

Here´s my email:
oesparza@bilbomatica.es

Looking forward to receiving it.
Thanks