Read iceberg table from S3

Hi, I have a dremio install running with an S3 data lake. This contains an Iceberg dataset created by Nessie

s3://<my-bucket>/database/messages

And inside I have metadata and data folders.

s3://<my-bucket>/database/messages/data/<file>.parquet

s3://<my-bucket>/database/messages/metadata/<meta>.json
s3://<my-bucket>/database/messages/metadata/<meta>.avro

When I click the dremio button to connect it as table, it does recognize Iceberg format, but when I click save, it shows:

Failed to get iceberg metadata.

The only reference to this error I could find is here: Dremio
But it seems to be related to existing tables, not ones being converted.

I tried enabling flags as stated here: Dremio
But also no luck!

I tried changing many things, including adding S3 connection properties, but it still fails to load table with same error. (iceberg.catalog_type = nessie and iceberg.namespace = ltm_db)

It seems that Dremio is trying to fetch table with the whole s3 path as a table name and it is crashing.
See error message below

Anyone has an idea on how to make it work?

022-03-14 11:15:24,769 [grpc-default-executor-49] ERROR c.d.s.nessie.ContentsApiService - GetContents failed with a NessieNotFoundException.
org.projectnessie.error.NessieContentsNotFoundException: Could not find contents for key ‘ltm_db./dummy-data-lake-bucket/datalake_dev/ltm_db’ in reference ‘main’.
at org.projectnessie.services.impl.ContentsApiImpl.getContents(ContentsApiImpl.java:61)
at com.dremio.service.nessie.ContentsApiService.getContents(ContentsApiService.java:47)
at com.dremio.service.nessieapi.ContentsApiGrpc$MethodHandlers.invoke(ContentsApiGrpc.java:232)
at io.grpc.stub.ServerCalls$UnaryServerCallHandler$UnaryServerCallListener.onHalfClose(ServerCalls.java:180)
at io.grpc.PartialForwardingServerCallListener.onHalfClose(PartialForwardingServerCallListener.java:35)
at io.grpc.ForwardingServerCallListener.onHalfClose(ForwardingServerCallListener.java:23)
at io.grpc.ForwardingServerCallListener$SimpleForwardingServerCallListener.onHalfClose(ForwardingServerCallListener.java:40)
at io.grpc.Contexts$ContextualizedServerCallListener.onHalfClose(Contexts.java:86)
at io.grpc.PartialForwardingServerCallListener.onHalfClose(PartialForwardingServerCallListener.java:35)
at io.grpc.ForwardingServerCallListener.onHalfClose(ForwardingServerCallListener.java:23)
at io.grpc.ForwardingServerCallListener$SimpleForwardingServerCallListener.onHalfClose(ForwardingServerCallListener.java:40)
at io.opentracing.contrib.grpc.TracingServerInterceptor$2.onHalfClose(TracingServerInterceptor.java:231)
at io.grpc.util.TransmitStatusRuntimeExceptionInterceptor$1.onHalfClose(TransmitStatusRuntimeExceptionInterceptor.java:74)
at io.grpc.internal.ServerCallImpl$ServerStreamListenerImpl.halfClosed(ServerCallImpl.java:331)
at io.grpc.internal.ServerImpl$JumpToApplicationThreadServerStreamListener$1HalfClosed.runInContext(ServerImpl.java:814)
at io.grpc.internal.ContextRunnable.run(ContextRunnable.java:37)
at io.grpc.internal.SerializingExecutor.run(SerializingExecutor.java:123)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)
2022-03-14 11:15:24,770 [qtp1612894078-150] DEBUG c.d.e.s.i.n.IcebergNessieTableOperations - Metadata location was not found for table: ltm_db./dummy-data-lake-bucket/datalake_dev/ltm_db
127.0.0.1 - - [14/Mar/2022:11:15:24 +0000] “PUT /apiv2/source/poc/folder_format/dummy-data-lake-bucket/datalake_dev/ltm_db HTTP/1.1” 400 181 “http://localhost:58803/source/poc/folder/dummy-data-lake-bucket/datalake_dev/ltm_db” “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/99.0.4844.51 Safari/537.36”
2022-03-14 11:15:25,397 [scheduler-17] DEBUG c.d.e.s.options.SystemOptionManager - Background fetch system option from kv store started.
2022-03-14 11:15:25,397 [scheduler-17] DEBUG c.d.e.s.options.SystemOptionManager - Up to now, there are 353682 cache calls and 1406 kv store call for system options
10.5.176.46 - - [14/Mar/2022:11:15:26 +0000] “GET / HTTP/1.1” 200 2591 “-” “kube-probe/1.21+”

@joao Are the tables already promoted? If yes, can you unpromote ( remove formatting) and promote again and see if the issue goes away?

Hi @balaji.ramaswamy

No, the tables can’t be promoted because of the issue above.