V3.3.2 JDBC connection error

Hi,

I am running V3.3.2 DremIO docker image, ie dremio-oss build 3.3.2-201908141640190085-d60145d. When I use either the V3.3.2 JDBC driver that came with the docker image, ie dremio-jdbc-driver-3.3.2-201908141640190085-d60145d.jar or downloaded from https://www.dremio.com/drivers/, ie dremio-jdbc-driver-3.3.2-201908142136370993-d60145d.jar, I encountered the following error message / stack trace when calling DriverManager.getConnection(DB_URL, USER, PASS):

java.sql.SQLException: Failure in connecting to Dremio: cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RpcException: HANDSHAKE_COMMUNICATION : [USER]: Channel closed null <–> null (user client)
at com.dremio.jdbc.impl.DremioConnectionImpl.(DremioConnectionImpl.java:110)
at com.dremio.jdbc.impl.DremioJdbc41Factory.newConnection(DremioJdbc41Factory.java:72)
at com.dremio.jdbc.impl.DremioFactory.newConnection(DremioFactory.java:67)
at cdjd.org.apache.calcite.avatica.UnregisteredDriver.connect(UnregisteredDriver.java:138)
at com.dremio.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:70)
at java.sql/java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:677)
at java.sql/java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:228)
at rest.DremIoJDBCTest.main(DremIoJDBCTest.java:24)
Caused by: cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RpcException: HANDSHAKE_COMMUNICATION : [USER]: Channel closed null <–> null (user client)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.client.DremioClient$FutureHandler.connectionFailed(DremioClient.java:826)
at cdjd.com.dremio.sabot.rpc.user.QueryResultHandler$ChannelClosedHandler.connectionFailed(QueryResultHandler.java:386)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.BasicClient$ConnectionMultiListener$HandshakeSendListener.failed(BasicClient.java:401)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RequestIdMap$RpcListener.setException(RequestIdMap.java:140)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RequestIdMap$SetExceptionProcedure.apply(RequestIdMap.java:76)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RequestIdMap$SetExceptionProcedure.apply(RequestIdMap.java:66)
at cdjd.com.carrotsearch.hppc.IntObjectHashMap.forEach(IntObjectHashMap.java:692)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RequestIdMap.channelClosed(RequestIdMap.java:62)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RemoteConnection.channelClosed(RemoteConnection.java:200)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RpcBus$ChannelClosedHandler.operationComplete(RpcBus.java:203)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RpcBus$ChannelClosedHandler.operationComplete(RpcBus.java:189)
at cdjd.io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListener0(DefaultPromise.java:511)
at cdjd.io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListenersNow(DefaultPromise.java:485)
at cdjd.io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners(DefaultPromise.java:424)
at cdjd.io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.trySuccess(DefaultPromise.java:103)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPromise.trySuccess(DefaultChannelPromise.java:84)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$CloseFuture.setClosed(AbstractChannel.java:1148)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.doClose0(AbstractChannel.java:764)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.close(AbstractChannel.java:740)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.close(AbstractChannel.java:611)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.close(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1356)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeClose(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:624)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.close(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:608)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.ChannelOutboundHandlerAdapter.close(ChannelOutboundHandlerAdapter.java:71)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeClose(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:624)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.close(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:608)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.ChannelDuplexHandler.close(ChannelDuplexHandler.java:73)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.close(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:465)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RpcExceptionHandler.exceptionCaught(RpcExceptionHandler.java:37)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeExceptionCaught(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:285)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeExceptionCaught(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:264)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireExceptionCaught(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:256)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.ChannelInboundHandlerAdapter.exceptionCaught(ChannelInboundHandlerAdapter.java:131)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeExceptionCaught(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:285)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeExceptionCaught(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:264)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireExceptionCaught(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:256)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.ChannelInboundHandlerAdapter.exceptionCaught(ChannelInboundHandlerAdapter.java:131)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.ChannelHandlerAdapter.exceptionCaught(ChannelHandlerAdapter.java:87)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.exceptionCaught(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1381)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireExceptionCaught(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:933)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.handleReadException(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:112)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:157)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:645)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysPlain(NioEventLoop.java:545)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:499)
at cdjd.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:459)
at cdjd.io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:886)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:844)
Caused by: cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.ChannelClosedException: [USER]: Channel closed null <–> null (user client)
at cdjd.com.dremio.exec.rpc.RpcBus$ChannelClosedHandler.operationComplete(RpcBus.java:201)
… 60 more

However, when I switch to V3.0.6 JDBC driver, ie dremio-jdbc-driver-3.0.6-201812082352540436-1f684f9.jar, I am able to successfully connect to DremIO and execute queries. Is there any additional configuration required to run V3.3.2 JDBC driver?

Regards,

Eric

Any luck with resolving this ? I am getting the same error

@eshieh and @raju

Kindly provide us with the Dremio job profile

How to Share Dremio Query Profile

Is there a Dremio job or query profile when the error occured while connecting? I wasn’t able to connect to Dremio via JDBC when I called DriverManager.getConnection(DB_URL, USER, PASS) (see stacktrace in my original post).

@eshieh, are trying to initiate a Dremio JDBC connection to Dremio, or another DB? Can you share the snippet of code you are using to build the connection (scrubbed of passwords and usernames, of course)?

It’s in my original post (which also included the stack trace), pretty much standard JDBC:

Class.forName(“com.dremio.jdbc.Driver”);
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(“jdbc:dremio:direct=192.168.86.40:31011”, “username”,“password”);

When I switched to V3.0.6 JDBC driver, ie dremio-jdbc-driver-3.0.6-201812082352540436-1f684f9.jar, it works fine, the problem seems to be with V3.3.2 driver (see detailed driver jar file names at the beginning of this topic thread).

I am getting this error when I try to connect one of the data query tool using Dremio JDBC . So there is no Dremio job ? Is that what you are asking ?

@raju, what version of the Dremio JDBC driver are you using and which data query tool?