Why do I have to hit "preview" twice after editing a query?

When I am crafting a query and I click “Preview”, I get results.

Then if I edit the query by adding another column or something, when I click “Preview” the page behaves as though it is submitting the query, but in the query results pane it says “Run a Query to get started”. If I click “Preview” again, the page behaves as though it is submitting the query, and then the query results pane does actually show results.

Why do I have to click “Preview” (or hit “ctrl+enter”) two times? Is it intentional? I ask because it feels like a bug.

I’m running Dremio 25.0 OSS via the docker container.

Hi @capnjosh, We haven’t run into this yet but we’ll investigate and follow up with you. This is not the intended behavior.

Thanks
Isha

In another thread @balaji.ramaswamy asked for a profile when this happens.

Specifically, I had a query that returned as expected when I hit “preview” or “ctrl + enter”. Then I added an outer query that just got the right few characters. After that edit, I hit “ctrl + enter”. The web gui refreshed like every other time I submit a query, but in the query results panel it displayed “Run a Query to Get Started”. At this point I clicked the link to download the query profile. If I hit “ctrl + enter” again it submits the query and displays the expected results.

9da3a7b3-dd70-4baa-b7f5-fcbe0d2f2948.zip (22.9 KB)

@capnjosh followed the same steps but not able to reproduce, which browser do you use?

I’m using Google Chrome (latest version).

It’s not 100% of the time. It sort of seems like every other query edit.

Just to restate the steps:

• write a query, even a simple “select” query. No need for complicated operations or subqueries
  • hit “ctrl + enter” to submit the query. Usually, the first time is fine
  • add “limit 100” to the query (or an additional calculated column) and hit “ctrl + enter”. This is when they query doesn’t seem to get submitted. hit “ctrl + enter” again, and usually it gets submitted.
  • make some other insignificant edit to the query text and hit “ctrl + enter”. Sometimes it will submit and sometimes it will just kind of refresh (and not submit the query).
  • I can keep doing this and see the same thing happen. I have grown to expect I will have to hit “ctrl + enter” twice (or click the “Run” or “Preview” buttons) in order to reliably submit queries.

If you can’t reproduce, then I think it would be fine to write it off as some kind of interaction with my hosting stack. I’m using Traefik as a load balancer and TLS termination; it routes to the Dremio http port. Dremio is running via Docker-Compose.

@capnjosh Tried to edit every occurrence and hit command+enter and not able to reproduce. Will check with our QA team and see if there were any reports of this