Cannot POST virtual_dataset from sample source data

So, I just did a docker pull on Dremio (really enjoying this software, btw) and I’m trying to build an app that uses the API’s to call Dremio. I manually added the ‘Samples’ data source through the UI, but I’m having an issue with the API. I can’t seem to do the POST request to create a virtual dataset from any of the files in the source location.

Here’s my POST request:
payload = {
“entityType”: “dataset”,
“path”: [
“First Space”,
“test”
],
“type”: “VIRTUAL_DATASET”,
“sql”: “SELECT * FROM SF_incidents2016”,
“sqlContext”: [“Samples”, “samples.dremio.com”]
}
headers = {
‘content-type’: ‘application/json’
‘authorization’: f’_Dremio{token}’
}
response = requests.post(f’{dremioServer}/api/v3/catalog, data=json.dumps(payload), headers=headers)

This post request returns an error saying that “Table ‘SF_incidents2016’ not found”. I am very new to this program, but I thought I was following the documentation to the letter. Can anyone help me figure out what I’m missing?

Thank you

@mosiermt

That seems to be a problem with the SQL - dataset names need to be qualified, so in your case you want:

"sql": "SELECT * FROM \"SF_incidents2016\"",

Note the " around SF_incidents2016.

I am still getting the same error here. I’ve tried adding the file type as well, but that doesn’t seem to do it either.

That is probably because the file name is SF_incidents2016.json, so you need:

"sql": "SELECT * FROM \"SF_incidents2016.json\"",

Yeah, that’s what I was saying I tried. Still no luck.

Heres the complete error message from the docker logs:

2019-10-11 18:55:35,886 [out-of-band-observer] INFO query.logger - {“queryId”:“225f2fd8-285c-1e47-8d69-fc6c37b0c700”,“schema”:"[Samples, “samples.dremio.com”]",“queryText”:“SELECT * FROM “SF_incidents2016.json””,“start”:1570820135452,“finish”:1570820135881,“outcome”:“FAILED”,“username”:“admin”}

And you can open SF_incidents2016.json just fine in the UI?

yes I can, and it renders fully as well. I’ve been messing with it a bit and I think the problem is the “sqlContext” field. Changing it makes no difference, even if the path provided doesn’t exist, so I think that might have a part in this. Is there a way I can see in the logs what path the server is looking in?

The body should be:

{
  "entityType": "dataset",
  "type": "VIRTUAL_DATASET",
  "path": [
    "space",
    "datasetname"
  ],
  "sql": "SELECT * FROM \"SF_incidents2016.json\"",
  "sqlContext": [
    "Samples",
    "samples.dremio.com"