Unable to Start Dremio on First Run

Thank you for the details, will get back to you.

@mathew.lee

Can you also please post your dremio.conf here?

Thanks
@balaji.ramaswamy

@balaji.ramaswamy,

Dremio.conf:

#######################################
Copyright © 2017-2018 Dremio Corporation

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”);
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.

paths: {
the local path for dremio to store data.
local: ${DREMIO_HOME}"/data"

the distributed path Dremio data including job results, downloads, uploads, etc
dist: “pdfs://”${paths.local}"/pdfs"
}

services: {
coordinator.enabled: true,
coordinator.master.enabled: true,
executor.enabled: true
}

Regarding your crash. Unfortunately it indicates that RocksDB that Dremio is using for internal purposes is crashing.
Might be related to a particular SP on your Windows, or antivirus running or even bug in RocksDB.

@yufeldman,

Ahhh ok thank you for looking into this!

What would you recommend as next step? I’m thinking about starting with RocksDB and looking there, but that might not be the best start.

I’d really like to be able to try this out and potentially share with colleagues however I’m worried it might be too difficult just to get them started - is this common among first time installs?

Either way really appreciate the help!

Thank you,
Mat

@mathew.lee

Try one other thing also,

Bring down Dremio (not required as it never started)

Remove the data folder (if it has nothing)

Comment out the below line from dremio.conf
#dist: “pdfs://”${paths.local}"/pdfs"

mkdir data as the user that runs Dremio

Start Dremio

Is using Docker or Kubernetes based deployoment an option here?

1 Like

Unfortunately this didn’t work - I followed the steps, but the #dist was already commented out.

I removed the data folder and mkdir but dremio failed again at the same place.

Maybe a a last resort, simply because I’d like to be able to help other users install and setting up a Docker or Kubernetes might be too advanced. In addition we have no budget at the time, we are just evaluating to see if Dremio will fit our needs.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Pretty uncommon to run into this type of issue. Corp windows environments can have all kinds of “protection” services running that make installing 3rd party software challenging.

Sorry it’s been a hassle. We continue to make progress on simplifying installations. Dremio on desktops is really just for experimentation purposes. Deployments run on clusters of Linux servers.

Hi @mathew.lee,

The Symantec end point virus that runs in your laptop. Are you allowed to temporarily disable that?

Thanks
@balaji.ramaswamy

@balaji.ramaswamy,

Unfortunately not - and I doubt that the IT department would let us either making it difficult for me to share with colleagues.

Thanks,
Mat

@Kelly,

That makes sense - no worries, it is just unfortunate because I’d love to be able to share with teammates to show them what Dremio can do (and test it out myself). The Windows environment makes it much more accessible and easier to do so.

Are there any low cost/no cost ways to get dremio running on clusters or Linux servers that you would recommend?

Appreciate the insight!

Thanks,
Mathew