Issues with Power BI Connector

I’m getting the following error when trying to connect via Power BI

Details: “ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Dremio][DriverSupport] (1160) Cannot enable SSL for the connection when connecting to a server that has not enabled SSL. If the server has SSL enabled, please check if it has been configured to use a SSL protocol version that is lower than what is allowed for the connection. The minimum SSL protocol version allowed for the connection is: TLS 1.2.
ERROR [HY000] [Dremio][DriverSupport] (1160) Cannot enable SSL for the connection when connecting to a server that has not enabled SSL. If the server has SSL enabled, please check if it has been configured to use a SSL protocol version that is lower than what is allowed for the connection. The minimum SSL protocol version allowed for the connection is: TLS 1.2.”

1 Like

Hi Nick,

What version of Power BI, the Dremio Connector, and Dremio server are you using? Do you have SSL enabled on the server?

Are you able to connect to Dremio from the web application (running on port 9047 from your browser)?

I’m on the latest version of all 3. I’ve not made any changes to the config so perhaps I need to enable SSL?

Nick

I had the same exact problem using Power BI desktop as well as at powerbi.com using the Dremio connector (like you, all new versions).

Partial workaround
With Power BI Desktop, once the Dremio Cluster Node had been defined and I hit OK I would get a popup window saying “Unable to connect” and then returning that message.
The workaround was:

• hit cancel at the Unable to Connect window
  • Open Data source settings which reveals that the data source was, in fact, created.
  • Edit global permissions on the dremio connection and uncheck Encrypt connections
  • Open Data source settings again and re-add the same Dremio Cluster Node you tried previously. The global permission for that node should now be in effect so you can hit OK without an error.

This is kludgey, but it worked.

Powerbi.com, however, does not have the ability to make this kind of workaround. So attempting to add a Dremio connector in Powerbi.com resulted in the same error message, but all you can do it accept that it failed and the new connection is discarded.

Current and complete workaround
What I ended up doing is still setting up a DSN on my workstation (and on the local gateway host) to the coordinator using the Dremio driver, but within PowerBI desktop I made an ODBC connection to the DSN which allowed me to connect to Dremio. At powerbi.com I also set it up as an ODBC connection with the connection string just set to dsn=mycoordinatorname and this successfully connects to Dremio.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve managed to turn off encryption, but then how do I connect to the list of datasets?

Enabling SSL on the server has also resolved this.

1 Like

Sorry! I know you got this fixed by enabling SSL, but for anyone else (or just to have the knowledge) I’ve updated my original post - I messed up and accidentally left out the last step of the global permissions workaround :frowning_face:

Hi, I’m new to Dremio and I use Azure for the cluster engine and would like to connect it to PowerBI Desktop. I get the same error as above.
Can someone explain in more detail how to solve it/ how to enable SSL ?
That would help me a lot! Thank you
@gray @nick.latocha

Following up on this, we’ve identified an issue with the latest ODBC Driver that prevents PowerBI from switching to unencrypted mode correctly. We’re working on an update for this.

2 Likes

hi mate ! tks for sharing it! any forecast to solve this?

Thanks for your workaround but, unfortunately, after I modified global permissions, now I receive error message: “ODBC: ERROR [08S01] [Dremio][Connector] (20) Failure occurred while trying to connect to local=localhost:9047. (Details: [30004]Connection failed with error: Cannot decode handshake.)”. Maybe I missed something? Thanks

I’ve found a partial workaround solution. This partial workaround is for testing purpose only…
Check this out Dremio ODBC with Openlink ODBC (Lite) :sunglasses:

any news about the update?

1 Like

So I’m using an enterprise gateway connected with the DNS link + port number, and was working fine until the oct 2020 powerBI update. I’m not sure if it’s related or not.

After some testing, it seems the failure is happening on the windows ODBC connector, as the “test” button there gives the same error as the powerBI error of “minimum SSL TLS 1.2”.

The SSL Options button on the ODBC window has SSL enabled, but why it won’t run is still strange.

note: the published version on the premium PowerBI workspace still “kind of” works, as some datasets read fine, while others are only partial.

Hi @Henry_From_Mars,

Let’s figure out why you’re not table to get connected directly through the Windows dialog first before we try to figure out why PBI isn’t working for you.

Can you post a screenshot of the configuration you are using for the ODBC driver, and your dremio.conf (with any passwords obscured)?

Thanks for the reply. Let me know if I should open a new topic btw.

So the screenshot is the ODBC connector setup that was working for a while. I’m using a work email with single sign-on with the dremio token as the password.

The company recently did implement a new single-sign-on verification that’s been messing up “things”, I’m looking into how/if that interacts here.

I’m not sure where the dremio.conf would reside. The dremio connector is installed, and I do not have ownership of the dremio servers configurations. Though I vaguely remember putting a file into powerBI folder, I’m not sure where dremio.conf would be.

Is there some intermediate proxy or server between you and the Dremio instance? It sounds like it could be failing there.