Unable to start Power BI from Dremio UI

Hi,

I have been able to get Dremio 3.0 to work fine from a remote connection.
I am able to connect Power BI desktop to the Dremio data source connector and get the data.
But when I try to start Power Bi directly form the Dremio UI I get the following message even if I followed the instructions for Power BI:
Any suggestion?

For Tableau, there is a way to launch Tableau connected to the dataset you are looking at in Dremio. When you click the Tableau button, a small .tds file is downloaded which includes all the necessary config information to launch Tableau connected to the specific dataset over ODBC.

Power BI does not have a feature that allows Dremio to launch Power BI connected to a specific dataset. The only option is to open Power BI and connect to Dremio, then select the dataset you’re interested in querying.

Hi Kelly, thanks for your answer but I suspect that you miss the work “not” in your response section “Power BI does have a feature” as you wrote that the only option is to open Power BI and the connect to Dremio.
I am right?

Whoops! Fixed, thanks.

Is there any plan to get this button working soon?

My point is that this is an inherent limitation of Power BI. There is no way to launch Power BI connected to a specific dataset of any kind, Dremio or any other source it supports.

OK, then I think the Power BI option should be remove from this dropdown as it is suggesting it could work.
What do you think?

Good point. We’ll take of this.

1 Like